Friday, April 23, 2010

1940s inspiration

i'm (attempting) to write a roman à clef for my senior thesis project. i'll spare you the details if you don't already know-- and by know, i mean you are one of the poor individuals who have had to hear me agonize over this project for the past semester-- but the general gist is it begins in the early 40s when my grandparents meet. they fall in love, they get married, they move to paris. etc. it's almost 2 a.m. so eloquence is beyond me at this point, but i wanted to share some pictures from my story's inspiration board.

Tommy Dorsey (left) and Frank Sinatra (right)
The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra was a popular band when my grandparents first met. Their song Polka Dots and Moonbeams reportedly launched Frank Sinatra's career, and has always held a special place in my heart. My grandma used to sing it to me as a lullaby.

My grandparents, January 1948.
This is taken in New York, where they had an apartment on West End & 72nd.

My grandmother,22, with her first child in Paris.

I've always thought my grandma looks like Elizabeth Taylor, circa 1944
Elizabeth Taylor and "The Pie," in probably my favorite movie of all time, National Velvet. (When I was in fourth grade, I could recite the entire movie from memory--verbatim.)

Paris, 1949. Dress by Christian Dior, Photograph by Lillian Bassman
Isn't this gorgeous?


My deadline is Monday by 5:30. Wish me luck!

2 comments: